Portuguese cuisine is known for its fresh ingredients, bold flavors, and simple cooking techniques.
Some popular dishes in Portuguese cuisine include:
- Bacalhau: This is salt cod, which is considered a national dish in Portugal. It's often served with potatoes, olives, and potatoes.
- Cozido: This is a stew that is made with a variety of meats, vegetables, and legumes. It is often cooked for several hours to develop the flavors.
- Sardinhas assadas: Grilled sardines are a popular dish in Portugal, especially during the summer months. They are often served with a salad or roasted potatoes.
- Caldo Verde: This is a traditional soup made with kale, potatoes, and chorizo and is often served as a starter.
- Pastel de Nata: This is a popular pastry that originated in Lisbon. It is a custard tart with a crispy pastry shell and is often served with a dusting of cinnamon.
- Francesinha: This is a sandwich that originated in Porto. It is made with bread, ham, sausage, and steak, and is topped with melted cheese and a tomato-based sauce.
- Arroz de Marisco: This is a seafood rice dish that is made with a variety of shellfish, including shrimp, clams, and mussels.
- Bolo de Bolacha: This is a cake made with layers of biscuits and a cream filling. It is often served chilled and is a popular dessert in Portugal.
Overall, Portuguese cuisine is diverse, flavorful, and hearty. It is heavily influenced by the country's maritime history, with an emphasis on seafood and fresh ingredients.