The Mediterranean diet is high in vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, whole grains, fish, and olive oil. It also includes a moderate amount of dairy products, red wine, and poultry. Studies have shown that Mediterranean food can help reduce the risk of heart disease and other health problems.
1. Foods to try in Portugal
While in Portugal, be sure to try some of their traditional dishes. Some of our favorites include:
• Caldo Verde (a soup made with kale, potatoes, and spicy chorizo sausage)
• Frango Assado (roasted chicken with garlic and herbs)
• Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a dish made with dried codfish that's been soaked in water, then simmered with onions, garlic, potatoes, and olive oil)
And of course, no trip to Portugal would be complete without enjoying a pastel de nata (a delicious egg custard tart). From savory to sweet, there's something for everyone in Portuguese cuisine.
There are so many delicious foods to try in Portugal, but some of our favorites include the country's amazing seafood, hearty stews, and sweet desserts. One of the most popular dishes is bacalhau or salted cod. This dish is made in various ways but typically features cod that's been dried and then soaked in water or milk. Stews are also a big part of Portuguese food and can be made with seafood, meat, or vegetables. Our absolute favorite is a seafood stew called Caldeirada. Desserts are not to be missed in Portugal, and we love the country's rich and flavorful pastries. Be sure to try a Pastel de Nata, a custard tart that's beloved all over Portugal.
2. Foods to try in Spain
If you're looking to explore Spanish food, we highly recommend trying some of the following dishes. Paella, tapas, and sangria are just some of Spain's delicious dishes to offer.
• Let's start with paella. This Valencian dish is a rice dish that typically contains seafood, meat, and vegetables. It is a dish made with saffron, chicken, pork, beef, or shellfish. Paella can be made in various ways, but the most popular versions are those with seafood and saffron.
• Tapas are another famous Spanish dish. These small dishes are meant to be shared and include anything from meats and cheese to olives and bread.
• Gazpacho: A cold tomato soup from Andalusia blended with cucumbers, peppers, onions, garlic, and olive oil.
• Jamón ibérico: A type of dry-cured ham from Spain made from black Iberian pigs.
• Sangria- And finally, no trip to Spain is complete without sampling some of the country's famous sangria. It is a wine-based drink typically made with red wine, brandy, sugar, fruit, and sparkling water or club soda.
3. Foods to try in Italy
When you think of Mediterranean cuisine, the first country that comes to mind is Italy. And for a good reason. Italian cuisine has something for everyone, from light and healthy fare to hearty meat dishes. Italian food is some of the most delicious in the world. From classic pasta dishes to mouth-watering meat entrees, there's something for everyone to love. The Italian dishes include pasta carbonara, lasagna, amatriciana, and bolognese. But don't forget the desserts – tiramisu, panna cotta, and gelato are all must-tries. The most iconic Italian dishes include pasta with tomato sauce, pizza, risotto, and tiramisu. And, of course, no Italian meal would be complete without a glass of red wine.
4. Foods to try in Greece
If you're looking to try some classic Greek food, we've got you covered. If there's one cuisine you need to try when exploring the Mediterranean, it's Greek food. Greek food has something for everyone, from succulent lamb dishes to light and refreshing salads. And of course, you can't go wrong with some delicious baklava for dessert! So if you're looking for some culinary inspiration, be sure to check out some of our favorite Greek recipes. You won't be disappointed. Here are a few of our favorites:
• Moussaka is a layered dish made with eggplant, ground beef, and béchamel sauce.
• Pita bread is warm and soft, perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce.
• Souvlaki is skewers of grilled meat, usually pork or chicken.
• Tzatziki is a yogurt-based sauce made with cucumber, garlic, and dill.
• Spanakopita is spinach pie made with feta cheese and filo dough.
5. Foods to try in France
The French are known for their incredible food. From buttery croissants to succulent steaks, there's something to tantalize everyone's taste buds. If you're looking to explore some of the best French food, we've got you covered. France is a country with incredible food culture. You'll find endless culinary gems to explore from Paris to the countryside. While there are too many amazing dishes to mention, some classics include French onion soup, bouillabaisse, cassoulet, coq au vin and crème brûlée.
• Onion soup- This savory soup is filled with flavorful onions and topped with cheesy goodness.
• Classic French salad- Made with mixed greens, tomatoes, and crispy croutons, it's perfect for a quick and healthy meal.
• Wines- And of course, no trip to France is complete without a sampling of their world-famous wines. Cheers. And don't forget the wine. France is known for some of the best wines in the world. So if you're ever in France, be sure to try some of its delicious food.
If you're looking to switch up your food routine, the Mediterranean diet is a great option. With plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and delicious seafood, you'll be able to enjoy all the best flavors in the Mediterranean region.
The Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest in the world, and with good reason. The delicious and fresh foods found in this region are perfect for a healthy diet. Whether you're looking to explore the culinary delights of Spain, Italy, Greece, France, or Portugal, we've got you covered with 20 delicious Mediterranean foods you need to try.