Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken Skewers Recipe
Level of Difficulty:
For Piri Piri Chicken:4 to 8 fresh hot chilis, depending on how hot you want it5 garlic cloves2½ teaspoons kosher salt¼ cup red wine vinegar⅔ cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for grilling1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1½-inch chunksBamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour, or metal skewersFor Cabbage and Cucumber Slaw¼ small head green cabbage, very thinly sliced (about 2½ cups)¼ cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on an angle (about ¾ cup)¼ white onion, very thinly sliced (about ¼ cup)¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced2 tablespoons olive oil2 tablespoons fresh lime juice1 tablespoon finely grated lime zestKosher salt, to tasteGrilled flatbreads
- For the piri piri chicken: In a food processor, combine chiles, garlic, vinegar and salt. Pulse until everything is finely minced. With the machine running, add the ⅔ cup of olive oil and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with ⅔ cup of the piri piri mixture to coat. Cover the bowl and chill for about 30 minutes or preferably overnight. Cover and chill the remaining piri piri sauce.
- Prepare a grill for medium-hot heat or place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Thread 4 to 5 pieces of chicken onto each skewer.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the grill with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Grill the chicken, turning and basting often with the remaining ⅓ cup of sauce, until the chicken is cooked through and charred in spots, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cabbage and cucumber slaw: In a large mixing bowl, toss the cabbage, cucumber, onion, mint, olive oil, lime juice and zest. Season with salt.
- To serve, divide the chicken skewers, slaw and flatbreads among 4 plates. Serve the remaining piri piri sauce alongside for dipping.