Portuguese Almond Cake Recipe
Posted in: Desserts
Nov 13, 2015
3 out of 5 with 7 ratings
1 cup all-purpose flour3⁄4 cup granulated sugar1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda1⁄4 teaspoon salt1 egg1⁄2 cup buttermilk1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract1⁄3 cup melted butter, cooled to room temperature2⁄3 cup sliced almondsHot Almond Syrup3⁄4 cup granulated sugar6 tablespoons water1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
Get groceries & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract together until smooth. Stir in melted butter.
- Add flour mixture and mix with spoon until nearly smooth.
- Turn into a buttered 9" springform pan.
- Bake until center of cake springs back when lightly touched, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- While is hot, cover top with sliced almonds.
- Slowly pour Hot Almond Syrup even over, letting syrup soak into cake.
- Broil about 6" from heat until almonds are lightly toasted.
- Cool on rack 15 minutes.
- Using knife or spatula, loosen sides between pan and cake, then cool completely before releasing springform pan.
- Hot Almond Syrup: In 1-qt saucepan combine sugar and water.
- Boil until mixture reaches 220F on candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and add almond extract; stir well.