Portuguese Cod Empadão Recipe
Posted in: Fish / Seafood
May 9, 2019
4 out of 5 with 19 ratings
2 cod fillets1 bay leaf6 large potatoes, sliced2 onions2 cloves of garlic, crushed3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped8 EggsParsley (to taste)Olive oil (to taste)Salt (to taste)Pepper (to taste)Olives (to taste)Parsley or coriander, for garnish Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
- Begin by cooking the cod in water, once cold shred it using your fingers and remove any bones.
- Peel the potatoes, put them whole in a pan with water, season with salt, a little olive oil, a bay leaf, some parsley (to taste) and two crushed cloves of garlic.
- Do not over cook them, once cooked, they should be cut into slices, not too thin.
- In a pan put olive oil, the onions, the three garlic cloves finely chopped, season to taste and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- In a bowl beat the eggs well and season with salt and pepper.
- In a casserole dish, begin by placing a little of the onion and olive oil mix on the bottom, next a a layer of shredded cod, then potatoes, then another layer of cod and over everything, the remaining onions and olive oil mix.
- Drizzle with beaten eggs and bake until golden brown.
- Garnish with olives, parsley or chopped coriander.