How to make Portuguese style mussels.
|Preparation time||5 min|
|Cooking Time||10 min|
|Ready In||15 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
2 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed and bearded1⁄4 cup olive oil (or olive oil and butter mixed)4 garlic cloves, minced2 cups chicken broth1 cup red wineFresh parsley, for garnish Get Portuguese ingredients
- Prepare mussels, discarding any that will not close after a light tap.
- Heat olive oil, or combination olive oil and butter, over medium heat in a dutch oven. Saute garlic about 5 minutes, but do not allow to brown.
- Add chicken broth and wine. Allow to come to a boil.
- Add mussels and cover. Steam about 2 - 3 minutes until shells open. Do not overcook or mussels will become rubbery. Discard any unopened shells. Garnish with fresh, chopped parsley.
- Serve "family style" in the pot or in individual bowls.
- Portuguese crusty bread can be used to sop up the sauce.