Portuguese Chickpea with Vegetables Soup Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Sep 20, 2019
3 out of 5 with 27 ratings
1 lb of cooked chickpeas3/4 lb of halved potatoes1 lb of turnips, cut into pieces1 medium zucchini, sliced1 lb of pumpkin, cut into pieces1/4 cup of olive oil1 large onion, coarsely chopped2 cloves of garlic, minced1 cube of chicken bouillon1 lb of cabbage, cut in julienne1/2 lb of turnips, diced2 medium carrots, cut into thin slices1/4 lb of very small pastaSalt (to taste)
Get Portuguese groceries & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil, onion and garlic and stir and let it sauté a little without browning.
- Add the chickpeas, zucchini, potatoes, pumpkin, sliced turnips, the chicken bouillon cube and season with salt.
- Finally, add about 3 liters of water (about 12 cups), enough to cover the vegetables.
- Stir, cover and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour.
- Once vegetables are cooked, blend everything, if the soup is too thick, add some more water.
- Add the pasta, cabbage, turnip cubes and carrots, stir and bring to a boil.
- When it begins to boil, stir and let it cook for 10 minutes, stiring from time to time so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.