These Madeira Island honey cookies (Broas de Mel) make a great treat and are especially popular during the Christmas holidays.
6 and 3/4 cups of flour2 and 3/4 cups of sugar2 eggs3/4 cup of sugarcane honey (molasses)1/4 cup of ground cinnamon1 teaspoon of ground cloves2 tablespoons of ground nutmeg1/4 cup of baking sodaZest from 1/2 lemon1/3 cup of butter1/3 cup of lard or butterAlmonds (optional)Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Mix all the ingredients (except the eggs and sugar cane sugar).
- Once mixed, make a hole in the middle and add the eggs and the molasses.
- Knead the dough again and again until it becomes smooth and no longer sticks to the bowl.
- Leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Roll the dough into balls.
- Place the balls on trays with non-stick paper (place an almond on the cookie ball as a finishing touch, optional).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150ºC or 300ºF for 30 minutes.
Store in a sealed container in a dry place.
These can be stored for up to 6 months without losing quality.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!
There are no comments for this recipe.