Portuguese Style Stuffing Recipe
Posted in: Holiday Treats
Nov 27, 2019
5 out of 5 with 1 ratings
Giblets & StockTurkey Giblets (which come inside turkey – neck, liver, heart, gizzard)1 medium onion, chopped1 celery stock, chopped4 cups of water4 cups of chicken broth2 cloves of garlic1 teaspoon of salt1 teaspoon of pepperGround Meat & Bread Stuffing1 lb of ground beef, ground turkey, or sausage meat1/2 cup of diced chouriço or linguiça sausage1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder1/2 teaspoon of salt1/2 teaspoon of pepper1 small onion, diced3 tablespoons of olive oil3 or 4 day old Portuguese rolls, cut into cubes2 eggs2 teaspoons of very finely chopped parsley Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
Giblets and stock:
- Place the water, onion, garlic, celery, broth, and seasonings in a large stock pan and bring to a boil.
- Rinse the giblets and neck and place them (except the liver) into the pan.
- Cover, and cook on medium heat for at least 1 hour.
- Add liver during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- The giblets should very well cooked, let it cook longer if needed.
- Remove the giblets from pan but save the broth.
- When the giblets and neck are cooled, trim the meat by removing any ten-dints, veins or skin.
- Place the trimmed meat in a food processor and pulse until they are the consistency of ground meat or leave chunky if you prefer.
Meat and stuffing:
- Saute ground meat in olive oil with onions and seasonings until cooked.
- Add the diced chouriço and the meat.
- Place in a food processor and pulse about 5 times until you get a smooth like consistency – (or chunky if you prefer.
- Strain your giblet turkey broth into a large bowl and add the Portuguese rolls.
- Let the rolls absorb the broth until they are soft.
- Add the cooked onion, garlic and celery from the broth.
- Mash well with your hand or a potato masher.
- Add ground meat mixture, and giblets and mix until well incorporated.
- Add 2 eggs and parsley and mix well.
- Spray or grease with margarine, a souffle, or baking pan which is at least 4 inches deep and big enough to hold all of the stuffing.
- Add the stuffing to the pan, cover with foil and cook for at least 45 minutes at 180C or 350F.
- If you want the top crispy, remove foil during the last 15 minutes.