This delicious Portuguese style Christmas cake with dried fruits and nuts (bolo de natal) is sensational for the holidays.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||45 min|
|Ready In||1 h 5 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 cup of butter3 cups of flour3/4 cup of sugar3 tablespoons of honey4 medium eggs1/4 cup of port wine3/4 cup of orange juiceZest from 1 orange1/4 cup of aguardente (moonshine) or brandy1 teaspoon of baking powder 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon1/2 lb of dried fruits and nuts (to taste)1 little pinch of saltIcing sugar (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- Grease with margarine and sprinkle with flour a 25cm or 9" diameter pan and preheat the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF.
- Chop the dried fruit and nuts (to taste), add the port wine and the brandy, mix well and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Beat the butter (softened at room temperature) with the sugar until cream.
- Add the eggs one by one (while beating), add the orange zest, the juice and the honey, beating a little more until the batter is homogeneous.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and beat well.
- Add the dried fruits and nuts and mix very well.
- Pour the batter into the pan you have prepared and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before unmolding.
- When the cake is completely cold, sprinkle with icing sugar.
There are no comments for this recipe.
You might also like:
Watch Nancy step by step as she shows you how to make carne de porco à Alentejana (Portuguese pork and clams).
Gordon Ramsay's version of the Portuguese bifana, what do you think?
Top 20 places to visit in Portugal .