Portuguese Duck Rice Recipe
Posted in: Other
Feb 8, 2020
4 out of 5 with 2 ratings
1 duck weighing about 4 lbsSalt and pepper (to taste)2 onions2 garlic cloves1 chouriço1/2 lb of presunto (Portuguese bacon)1 bay leaf1 and 3/4 lbs of rice (to taste)1 orange1 bunch of parsley Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
- Cook the duck in water seasoned with a little salt, so that it is well cooked.
- Then remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Clean the duck removing the skin and bones and roughly shred the meat using your hands.
- Strain the water you cooked the duck in.
- With the help of a ladle, remove the grease from the surface and set it aside.
- Peel the onions and garlic, chop everything and place in a pan.
- Bring to the heat and add the bacon (presunto), bay leaf, chouriço and cook until the onion is very dark, stirring constantly.
- Then add 2 cups of the duck cooking water, cover and cook until the broth is almost steaming.
- Add the rice and another 6 cups of boiling duck cooking water.
- Stir well, rectify the salt and pepper and add the juice of half an orange and the chopped parsley.
- Add the shredded duck, cover and bring to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chouriço and presunto (bacon) from the pan, cut it into pieces and set it aside.
- Serve the hot rice garnished with the chouriço and bacon.