This tasty Portuguese cabbage and collard greens soup recipe (receita de sopa de Repolho e Couve) is a different version of the popular collard greens soup.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||1 h|
|Ready In||1 h 15 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped1 tablespoon of butter1 tablespoon dried minced onionSalt and ground black pepper (to taste)2 tablespoons of olive oil4 stalks of celery, chopped1 onion, chopped3 cloves of garlic, minced2 bay leaves8 cups of hot water1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded1/2 cup of beef broth1 pinch of red pepper flakes1 (15 ounce) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained1 bunch of collard greens, chopped Get Portuguese ingredients
- Combine tomatoes, butter, dried minced onion, salt, and black pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, place a cover on the saucepan, and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir celery, onion, garlic, and bay leaves in hot oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture, cook and stir another 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Pour the water and beef broth into the stock pot, stir in the green cabbage and red pepper flakes.
- Loosely cover the stock pot and cook the mixture for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and collard greens into the soup and again loosely cover the pot and continue cooking another 15 minutes.
You might also like:
For many, the best beaches in Portugal are in the Algarve. But the country's coast stretches for 1,700km and beautiful beaches exist in less touristy areas.
A couple who have travelled all over the world, decided to settle in Portugal. They purchased a farm, renovated it and now are moving in.
How to make Portuguese sonhos, a delightful pastry, which translate to dreams in English, are a popular dessert often enjoyed during festive occasions or simply as a comforting indulgence.