Portuguese Cabbage & Kale Soup Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Mar 17, 2020
4 out of 5 with 6 ratings
4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped1 tablespoon of butter1 tablespoon dried minced onionSalt and ground black pepper (to taste)2 tablespoons of olive oil4 stalks of celery, chopped1 onion, chopped3 cloves of garlic, minced2 bay leaves8 cups of hot water1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded1/2 cup of beef broth1 pinch of red pepper flakes1 (15 ounce) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained1 bunch of kale, chopped
Get Portuguese food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Combine tomatoes, butter, dried minced onion, salt, and black pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, place a cover on the saucepan, and cook at a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir celery, onion, garlic, and bay leaves in hot oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato mixture, cook and stir another 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Pour the water and beef broth into the stock pot, stir in the green cabbage and red pepper flakes.
- Loosely cover the stock pot and cook the mixture for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans and kale into the soup and again loosely cover the pot and continue cooking another 15 minutes.