Portuguese Kidney Bean Soup Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Apr 8, 2020
3 out of 5 with 7 ratings
1 carrot1 onion4 stalks of celery4 tomatoes, skinned & seeded1 potato, peeled8 ounces of kidney beans, soaked overnight2 ounces of olive oil2 ounces of butter1 and 1⁄4 teaspoons of paprika2 quarts of chicken stock3 tablespoons of tomato paste2 mild chouriço sausages1 teaspoon of cayenne pepperSalt & pepper (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff This site uses US measurements.
- Finely chop all vegetables including tomatoes and potato.
- Drain the soaked beans, discarding liquid.
- In a medium pot, add olive oil and butter.
- When oil is hot, add chopped carrot, onion, celery and tomatoes, saute, but do not brown.
- Add chopped potato, paprika, and chicken stock.
- When this reaches a boil, add kidney beans and turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Add the tomato paste and let cook for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the beans are soft to the touch add the sausages and cayenne pepper.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, when the sausages is cooked, turn off the heat.
- Cut the sausages into pieces and serve with the soup.