Azores Marinated Pork (Torresmos) Recipe
Posted in: Pork
Jun 5, 2020
4 out of 5 with 20 ratings
4 lbs of pork spare ribs (the fattest part)4 tablespoons or red crushed pepper5 crushed garlic cloves1 cup of red wine1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground white pepper1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepperSalt (to taste)1/2 lb of lard or 1 cup of vegetable oil1 and 1/2 tablespoons of sweet paprika
Get Portuguese food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- The day before, or at least 3 hours before, cut the ribs into large pieces and set aside.
- In a deep dish, mix the red crushed red pepper very well with the crushed garlic, paprika, the wine and a pinch of salt.
- Add the meat and mix well.
- Cover and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When you're ready, place the meat in a thick-bottomed pan together with the marinade.
- Heat the pan and add the lard or oil.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes on high heat.
- Lower the heat and cover with a lid.
- Cook on a very low heat for 2 hours and 45 minutes, or until the meat is very tender and it peels off the bone, stirring gently from time to time.
- Rectify the salt and sprinkle with white and black pepper.
- Mix and cook for another 5 minutes over low heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let it sit with the lid on for 10 to 15 minutes, drain the fat and serve.