Portuguese Prego Sandwich Recipe
Posted in: Beef RecipesFri, Jun 26, 2020
4 out of 5 with 24 ratings
1/2 lb of sirloin steak, cut thinly5 tablespoons of butter6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (or to taste)1 large onion, thinly sliced1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt to taste1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper2 Portuguese style sandwich buns, toasted * Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Lay out the steaks on a cutting board or other flat surface.
- Lay slices of garlic on on side of the steaks.
- Using a tenderizing mallet, “nail” the garlic to the steak by pounding the slices into the meat.
- Repeat on the reverse side of the steaks.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry each steak in the butter for barely two to three minutes, turning once.
- Transfer to a dish and cover.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the same skillet.
- Add the onions and saute until they are golden.
- Return the beef to the onions and sauce and heat through for about 30 seconds.
- Serve on the toasted sandwich rolls, enjoy!
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!
Karen Kent - 4 Months ago
What's the coarse salt for? To sprinkle on the sandwich? Just curious because I can't have salt if that's the reason it works for me! ☺ It doesn't specify on the recipe! BTW great job with the recipes Maria & Joe! Thank you for posting and making me hungry! Lol