Portuguese Octopus Bean Stew (Feijoada) Recipe
Posted in: Fish / Seafood
Jul 7, 2020
5 out of 5 with 1 ratings
1 frozen octopus (approx 2 lbs)1/2 lb of leek, sliced1 bay leaf2 stalks of celery, chopped2 carrots, chopped2 tablespoons of olive oil1 chouriço, sliced1/2 lb of red beansSalt (to taste)Black pepper (to taste)Fresh parsley (to taste)
Get groceries & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Remove the octopus from the freezer the day before and put it in the bottom drawer of the fridge to thaw slowly.
- The day before, soak the beans in water (you can also use canned beans).
- Wash and rub the octopus well.
- Heat a saucepan with water and add the octopus, the leek, the bay leaf and let it cook until the octopus is tender (the Octopus is cooked when you manage to prick it with a fork), to make it soft, do not add salt during cooking, remove it from the water, wait till it cools and cut it into pieces.
- Rinse the beans and cook them in the octopus water (add more if needed) over medium heat, as soon as it boils, let it bubble for 5 minutes, turn it over to low heat and make sure the beans are always covered with water.
- Once the beans are almost cooked, season the water to taste with salt.
- Take the beans out of the water and set aside.
- Heat a pan with olive oil, when it is hot, saute the celery with the carrots.
- Add the sliced chouriço and stir.
- Add the octopus and season with salt and a pinch of freshly ground pepper.
- Add the water from cooking the beans and octopus (to taste).
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.