Liz's Portuguese Grilled Tuna with Capers Recipe
Posted in: Fish / Seafood
Aug 11, 2020
4 out of 5 with 1 ratings
4 center cut tuna steaks, about 4 to 5 ounces each2 tablespoons of olive oil, dividedSalt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes4 sprigs of fresh thyme, coarsely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried1/3 cup of capers, drained4 small ripe plum tomatoes, cored and cut into small cubes1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice4 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil or parsley
Get Portuguese food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Prepare grill according manufacturer’s directions or preheat broiler.
- On a flat dish, place the tuna steaks, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme.
- Press the herbs into the fish, cover with plastic wrap and let it stand for at least 15 minutes before grilling.
- In a small skillet, over medium heat, heat the remaining olive oil, add the capers and cook for about 10 seconds, then add the tomatoes, salt and pepper (to taste), the lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes.
- If you're using a grill, rub the rack lightly with olive oil and place the fish on grill.
- Cook for 3 minutes, turn and cook for 3 more minutes for rare (if you wish the fish to be more well done, cook longer on each side).
- If broiling, place the fish in pan and broil for 6 minutes for rare, turning once for 6 more minutes.
- Remove the fish and cut in thin diagonal slices.
- To serve, divide tomato mixture among four warm plates, place the tuna slices on top and sprinkle with basil or parsley.