This is a delicious, traditional and healthy Portuguese meal for the whole family (Cozido à Portuguesa).
1/2 lb of beef1/2 lb of pork spare ribs1/2 lb of pig’s forefoot1/2 lb of pig ear(s)1/2 chicken1/2 lb of bacon (toucinho)1 chouriço sausage1 black pudding (morcela)1 flour (farinheira) sausage6 medium sized potatoes3 turnips1 Portuguese cabbage3 carrotsSalt (to taste)Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Boil the beef and chicken in a large saucepan with plenty of water seasoned with salt.
- In another saucepan boil the pork meats, seasoned also with salt.
- Once the meats are cooked, keep them in a hot place and use half of the water used to boil the beef to cook the vegetables and the sausages, placing first the sausages, the potatoes, the turnips and the carrots and add the cabbage just before they are ready so that the cabbage does not overcook (Don’t forget to prick the sausages before placing them in the saucepan).
- Cut the meats in pieces and slice the sausages.
- Enjoy this meal with a good and full bodied red wine, preferably Portuguese.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!
This meal is typically made in the hot springs of the Furnas by placing it in a large container and then lowering it in its pot into the holes that have been dug expressly for this purpose where it steam cooks for approximately 6 hours. To best achieve the same result, I would suggest cooking this in a crock pot and layering the items so that the potatoes are on the bottom, the meats next and the cabbages next, and then use the high setting for 4 hours, or the low setting for 8 hours.
7 months ago, Saturday, January 8, 2022