Portuguese Cozido (Boiled Meal) Recipe
Posted in: Pork
Nov 22, 2015
4 out of 5 with 31 ratings
1/2 lb of beef1/2 lb of pork spare ribs1/2 lb of pig’s forefoot1/2 lb of pig ear(s)1/2 chicken1/2 lb of bacon (toucinho)1 chouriço sausage1 black pudding (morcela)1 flour (farinheira) sausage6 medium sized potatoes3 turnips1 Portuguese cabbage3 carrotsSalt (to taste)
Get Portuguese food & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Boil the beef and chicken in a large saucepan with plenty of water seasoned with salt.
- In another saucepan boil the pork meats, seasoned also with salt.
- Once the meats are cooked, keep them in a hot place and use half of the water used to boil the beef to cook the vegetables and the sausages, placing first the sausages, the potatoes, the turnips and the carrots and add the cabbage just before they are ready so that the cabbage does not overcook (Don’t forget to prick the sausages before placing them in the saucepan).
- Cut the meats in pieces and slice the sausages.
- Enjoy this meal with a good and full bodied red wine, preferably Portuguese.