Portuguese Grandma's Homemade Buns Recipe
Posted in: BreadsSun, Oct 11, 2020
4 out of 5 with 81 ratings
Views: 43170 - Comments 13
6 cups of all purpose flour (about 750 gr)2 teaspoons of salt1 teaspoon of sugar1 sachet of instant dry yeast (about 7 gr)2 and 1/2 cups of warm water (about 600 ml)1 tablespoon of olive oil Get Portuguese ingredients
- Place the flour in a bowl and mix all ingredients except the water and olive oil and mix everything with a wooden spoon.
- After everything is well mixed, create a hole in the middle and add the warm water and olive oil.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the flour absorbs the liquids and is well incorporated (add more water of needed).
- Cover with a kitchen towel and a woolen blanket and let it rise for 2 hours in a warm room.
- At the end of this time take out the dough and mold it into round buns (size to taste).
- Put the buns on a floured tray, and at the top of each bun, cut a cross with a knife.
- Bake at 180ºC or 350ºF until it's baked, about 30 to 40 minutes (to taste).
Note: This recipe uses "instant" dry yeast, NOT "active".
Recipe & Photo Credit: receitasdeportugal.com
Christine S - 4 Months ago
Do these end up darker and crunchy on the outside and soft and yeasty on the inside? Our local grocery stopped carrying them! I’m going to need to know how to make them!
[reply] (+1) (-0)
Yes, try it once Christine to see if it's up to your liking.
4 Months ago (+0) (-0)