Portuguese Cod Croquettes Recipe
Posted in: SeafoodTue, Nov 24, 2020
5 out of 5 with 8 ratings
Views: 17482 - Comments 2
These delicious Portuguese cod croquettes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
|Preparation time||45 min|
|Cooking Time||45 min|
|Ready In||1 h 30 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1/2 lb of skinless and boneless salt cod, rinsed1 cup of milk2 thyme sprigs1 bay leaf8 garlic cloves, 3 smashed and 5 minced1 lb of potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil1 teaspoon red pepper sauce (to taste)3 tablespoons of chopped parsley1 cup of all-purpose flour1 and 1/2 cups of fine bread crumbs3 large eggs1 large egg yolkVegetable oil, for fryingLemon wedges, for serving Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a medium bowl, cover the salt cod with cold water and soak in the refrigerator for 24 hours or for up to 2 days. Change the water at least three times.
- Drain the salt cod, transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add the milk, thyme, bay leaf and smashed garlic.
- Pour in enough water to cover the fish by 2 inches.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, until the fish flakes with a fork.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish to a plate, let it cool and flake the fish.
- Add the potatoes to the saucepan and simmer until tender, 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl along with 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid and mash to a coarse puree.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into the bowl with the potatoes, add the salt cod, parsley, pepper sauce and egg yolk and stir until blended.
- Refrigerate the mixture until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with 1 teaspoon of water.
- Put the flour and bread crumbs in shallow bowls.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Form the salt cod mixture into 1-tablespoon-size balls.
- Dredge the balls in flour, dip them in the beaten eggs and coat with the bread crumbs.
- Arrange the croquettes on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until chilled, about 10 minutes.
- Fill a large, deep skillet with 1/2 inch of vegetable oil and heat until shimmering.
- Working in 2 batches, fry the croquettes over high heat, turning once or twice, until golden all over, about 4 minutes, drain on paper towels and transfer the croquettes to a platter and serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Daniel Boulud, foodandwine.com
Member since Oct 1, 2015