This Portuguese soup is a variation of the kale soup, it uses cabbage instead of kale and only chouriço, no sweet linguiça.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||1 h 20 min|
|Ready In||1 h 40 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1/4 cup of olive oil3 cups of canned tomatoes, crushed in their juice2 onions, diced1 clove of garlic, minced3 carrots, peeled and sliced3 potatoes, diced1/4 to 1/2 medium cabbage, chopped2 quarts of brown stock or beef bouillon1/2 lb of chouriço (remove the casing and chop)1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepperSalt and pepper (to taste)2 cups of canned red kidney beans Get Portuguese ingredients
- Sauté the tomatoes and onion in just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a soup pot.
- Add the garlic, carrots, potatoes and chopped cabbage.
- Cover with brown stock (beef bouillon may be used if more convenient) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chouriço and cayenne pepper.
- Taste for salt and pepper and rectify.
- Cover and simmer 1 to 3 hours, adding the red kidney beans 15 minutes before removing from the heat.
- More stock or beef bouillon may be added if the liquid gets low during the simmer.
- This soup gets better each day if it is rewarmed.