This Portuguese soup is a variation of the kale soup, it uses cabbage instead of kale and only chouriço, no sweet linguiça.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||1 h 20 min|
|Ready In||1 h 40 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1/4 cup of olive oil3 cups of canned tomatoes, crushed in their juice2 onions, diced1 clove of garlic, minced3 carrots, peeled and sliced3 potatoes, diced1/4 to 1/2 medium cabbage, chopped2 quarts of brown stock or beef bouillon1/2 lb of chouriço (remove the casing and chop)1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepperSalt and pepper (to taste)2 cups of canned red kidney beans Get Portuguese ingredients
- Sauté the tomatoes and onion in just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a soup pot.
- Add the garlic, carrots, potatoes and chopped cabbage.
- Cover with brown stock (beef bouillon may be used if more convenient) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chouriço and cayenne pepper.
- Taste for salt and pepper and rectify.
- Cover and simmer 1 to 3 hours, adding the red kidney beans 15 minutes before removing from the heat.
- More stock or beef bouillon may be added if the liquid gets low during the simmer.
- This soup gets better each day if it is rewarmed.
The only thing that is making these soups Portuguese is the chourico otherwise omitted it makes a fantastic and tasty vegetarian soup.
2 years ago, Thursday, October 7, 2021
You might also like:
If you're going to São Miguel Island, this guide to 7 Days in São Miguel, Azores is for you.
If you are travelling to Madeira Island, you have to watch this amazing Madeira food tour.
In these modern times, coffee is one of the beverages that the majority of people enjoy drinking. It's possible that you, too, are a coffee enthusiast who enjoys starting your day with a delicious cup of java.