4 out of 5 with 8 ratings
comments: 0 - views: 15761
This Portuguese fish stew (caldeirada de peixe) is packed with different types of fish and seafood.
|Ready In||1 h|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
Oive oil (to taste)2 onions, finely chopped1 red pepper, seeded and dicedA small bunch of coriander1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped3 cloves of garlic, 2 chopped and 1 halved for the toast1 and 3/4 cups of dry white wine1 and 1/4 cups of waterA pinch of saffron1 bay leaf3/4 lb of potatoes, peeled and diced1 can of plum tomatoes (about 400gr)1 and 1/4 lbs of skinless firm white fish (use a mixture if what you like), cut into large chunks3/4 lb of squid, cleaned and sliced8 tiger prawns1 lb of clams, cleaned1 lb of mussels, cleaned1 Portuguese bread, sliced Get Portuguese ingredients
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan, and fry the onion and pepper over medium heat until softened but not browned.
- Finely chop the coriander stalks (keep the leaves for later), and add to the pan with the chilli and chopped garlic.
- Fry for another few minutes, add the wine, saffron and bay leaf and let it simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, and water and bring to a gentle boil.
- Break up the tomatoes with a spoon on the side of the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are just tender, and the tomatoes have broken down.
- Season well, then gently add the fish into the sauce, arrange the squid, prawns, clams and mussels on the pan.
- Put the lid on and cook for 6-8 minutes until the mussel and clam shells have opened, the prawns are cooked and the fish is flaky.
- Toast the bread, rub lightly with the halved garlic clove and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve the stew scatted with chopped coriander leaves, and use the toasts for dunking.
Recipe & Photo Credit: olivemagazine.com
There are no comments for this recipe.