Portuguese Fish Stew Recipe
Posted in: Seafood RecipesSun, Dec 27, 2020
4 out of 5 with 8 ratings
Views: 15004 - Comments 0
This Portuguese fish stew (caldeirada de peixe) is packed with different types of fish and seafood.
Oive oil (to taste)2 onions, finely chopped1 red pepper, seeded and dicedA small bunch of coriander1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped3 cloves of garlic, 2 chopped and 1 halved for the toast1 and 3/4 cups of dry white wine1 and 1/4 cups of waterA pinch of saffron1 bay leaf3/4 lb of potatoes, peeled and diced1 can of plum tomatoes (about 400gr)1 and 1/4 lbs of skinless firm white fish (use a mixture if what you like), cut into large chunks3/4 lb of squid, cleaned and sliced8 tiger prawns1 lb of clams, cleaned1 lb of mussels, cleaned1 Portuguese bread, sliced Get Portuguese ingredients
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan, and fry the onion and pepper over medium heat until softened but not browned.
- Finely chop the coriander stalks (keep the leaves for later), and add to the pan with the chilli and chopped garlic.
- Fry for another few minutes, add the wine, saffron and bay leaf and let it simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, and water and bring to a gentle boil.
- Break up the tomatoes with a spoon on the side of the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are just tender, and the tomatoes have broken down.
- Season well, then gently add the fish into the sauce, arrange the squid, prawns, clams and mussels on the pan.
- Put the lid on and cook for 6-8 minutes until the mussel and clam shells have opened, the prawns are cooked and the fish is flaky.
- Toast the bread, rub lightly with the halved garlic clove and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve the stew scatted with chopped coriander leaves, and use the toasts for dunking.
Recipe & Photo Credit: olivemagazine.com