Portuguese Fisherman's Shrimp and Chouriço Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Jan 3, 2021
5 out of 5 with 1 ratings
1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil8 ounces of chouriço, casing removed and chopped1 potato, peeled and chopped1 medium onion, chopped1 carrot, peeled and chopped4 cloves of garlic, chopped or thinly sliced1 chili pepper, thinly sliced2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme1 bay leaf1 small bunch kale, leaves stripped and choppedFreshly grated nutmeg (to taste)1 (15-ounce) can of chick peas, drained1 (15-ounce) can of diced tomatoes3 cups of chicken stockKosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)1 and 1/2 lbs of medium shrimp, deveined and stemmedJuice of 1 lemonPortuguese rolls, for serving
Get Portuguese groceries & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat, add the chouriço and render for 2 minutes.
- Then add the potato, onion, carrot, garlic, chili pepper, thyme, and bay leaf and soften for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Wilt in the kale and season with a little nutmeg.
- Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock into the pot, bring to a low boil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the shrimp and cook until pink and firm.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon, mix and turn off the heat.
- Serve in shallow bowls garnished with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and with warm Portuguese.