This delicious Portuguese bifanas recipe (receita de bifanas) is from a family friend who is a great cook.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||20 min|
|Ready In||40 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 and 1⁄2 lbs of thinly sliced pork cutlets, trimmed of fat1 and 1⁄2 cups of white wine6 garlic cloves, chopped1/2 bell pepper, cleaned and sliced1 and 1⁄2 tablespoons siracha or hot chili sauce (optional)2 bay leaves, split in half1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar1 tablespoon of paprika1 and 1⁄4 teaspoons of kosher salt3 tablespoons of lard2 large onions, sliced4 crusty buns Get Portuguese ingredients
- Pound the pork cutlets until they are very thin (1/8"), being careful not to tear the meat.
- Stir the wine, garlic, siracha, bay leaves, vinegar, paprika, and salt.
- Add the pork to a shallow pan, pour the marinade over top, and submerge the meat.
- Refrigerate for 1 and 1/2 hours, tossing the meat several times.
- Heat a large skillet until hot, then add the lard.
- Fry the cutlets (reserve the marinade) quickly just until cooked through, about a minute per side, adding more lard as needed.
- Transfer the cooked meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and bell pepper to the skillet and saute until softened.
- Discard the bay leaves, then pour the reserved marinade into the pan with the onions and bell pepper, and heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the pork back into the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Slice the buns and spoon some of the sauce & onions over half of each bun, then pile with meat.
I can’t have any alcohol in the house , we have a recovering alcoholic and don’t want to add to temptation . So what else can I use
7 months ago, Saturday, April 1, 2023
Butter ;) the wine marinades the meat and yes it does give it flavor too- so maybe add a little apple cider too.
7 months ago, Sunday, April 2, 2023
My mil is a wonderful Portuguese cook but sometimes it is hard for me to understand her since I can not speak or understand Portuguese I am so glad for your site now I can learn to cook the same for as her Thank you for this site
1 year ago, Monday, January 17, 2022
You might also like:
Stocking up? You don't have to forgo all the fresh food! Here are nine produce items you can buy and store for several weeks, plus some pantry-friendly ways to use them.
Angela Castro - The Olive Branch shows you how to make Portuguese coscorões on this step by step video.
If you're going to São Miguel Island, this guide to 7 Days in São Miguel, Azores is for you.