Gorete's Portuguese Bifanas Recipe
Posted in: PorkTue, Mar 9, 2021
5 out of 5 with 19 ratings
Views: 29621 - Comments 4
This delicious Portuguese bifanas recipe (receita de bifanas) is from a family friend who is a great cook.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||20 min|
|Ready In||40 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 and 1⁄2 lbs of thinly sliced pork cutlets, trimmed of fat1 and 1⁄2 cups of white wine6 garlic cloves, chopped1/2 bell pepper, cleaned and sliced1 and 1⁄2 tablespoons siracha or hot chili sauce (optional)2 bay leaves, split in half1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar1 tablespoon of paprika1 and 1⁄4 teaspoons of kosher salt3 tablespoons of lard2 large onions, sliced4 crusty buns Get Portuguese ingredients
- Pound the pork cutlets until they are very thin (1/8"), being careful not to tear the meat.
- Stir the wine, garlic, siracha, bay leaves, vinegar, paprika, and salt.
- Add the pork to a shallow pan, pour the marinade over top, and submerge the meat.
- Refrigerate for 1 and 1/2 hours, tossing the meat several times.
- Heat a large skillet until hot, then add the lard.
- Fry the cutlets (reserve the marinade) quickly just until cooked through, about a minute per side, adding more lard as needed.
- Transfer the cooked meat to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and bell pepper to the skillet and saute until softened.
- Discard the bay leaves, then pour the reserved marinade into the pan with the onions and bell pepper, and heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the pork back into the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Slice the buns and spoon some of the sauce & onions over half of each bun, then pile with meat.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Chef Gorete, Food.com
Member since Oct 1, 2015