This Portuguese oxtail stew recipe and can be stewed in several ways, serve with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes.
|Ready In||1 h 30 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
2 lbs of ox tail, cut into pieces1 large chopped onion3 chopped garlic cloves1 lb of peeled tomatoes cut into pieces2 diced carrots2 bay leaves1 sprig of parsley4 whole cloves1 stem of fresh rosemaryOil (to taste)Salt (to taste)Black pepper (to taste)Piri piri (to taste)2 cups of red wine4 cups of beef broth, preferably homemade Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a pressure cooker, add enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Let it warm up and add the oxtail.
- Fry the pieces of meat on both sides until they turn color.
- Remove the meat to a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the oil.
- Stir and sauté until the onion is glazed.
- Add the bay leaves and the tomato pulp.
- Stir and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pieces of meat again.
- Season with salt, taking into account that the broth is already salty, black pepper and the piri piri.
- Add the cloves of India, the sprig of parsley, the rosemary, the carrot, the red wine and the broth, until the meat is submerged.
- Cover the pressure cooker and close it.
- After starting to boil, cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
- If you don't have the pressure cooker, you can make this recipe in a normal pan and cook for 2 to 3 hours over a moderate heat.
- After the time has passed, open the pan and check that the meat is cooked.
- If the meat comes off the bone, it is cooked.
- If it is necessary to cook the meat more or if the sauce is too dry, add more broth and let it cook a little more without the lid.
- You can accompany this dish with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes.
Carolyn O Johnson
Thank you for this recipe. I have been looking for a different way to make oxtail. So, I will be trying it seen. Yes, I can see everything just fine. Thank you Carolyn Onciano
5 months ago, Friday, June 2, 2023
You might also like:
A couple who have travelled all over the world, decided to settle in Portugal. They purchased a farm, renovated it and now are moving in.
If you're going to São Miguel Island, this guide to 7 Days in São Miguel, Azores is for you.
Watch this video to learn why young Americans are moving to Portugal.
Here is a top list of the best Portuguese wines. Portugal has a long and rich history of winemaking, and there are many excellent Portuguese wines to choose from.
Here is a list of the top 10 most popular Portuguese bread recipes on PortugueseRecipes.ca
Bolinhos de bacalhau, name in Northern Portugal and Brazil or pastéis de bacalhau, name in Central and Southern Portugal, particularly in the Lisbon area.