Portuguese Ox Tail Recipe
Posted in: Beef
Apr 19, 2021
0 out of 5 with ratings
2 lbs of ox tail, cut into pieces1 large chopped onion3 chopped garlic cloves1 lb of peeled tomatoes cut into pieces2 diced carrots2 bay leaves1 sprig of parsley4 cloves from India1 stem of fresh rosemaryOil (to taste)Salt (to taste)Black pepper (to taste)Piri piri (to taste)2 cups of red wine4 cups of beef broth, preferably homemade
Get Portuguese groceries & other stuff
This site uses US measurements.
- In a pressure cooker, add enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Let it warm up and add the oxtail.
- Fry the pieces of meat on both sides until they turn color.
- Remove the meat to a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the oil.
- Stir and sauté until the onion is glazed.
- Add the bay leaves and the tomato pulp.
- Stir and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pieces of meat again.
- Season with salt, taking into account that the broth is already salty, black pepper and the piri piri.
- Add the cloves of India, the sprig of parsley, the rosemary, the carrot, the red wine and the broth, until the meat is submerged.
- Cover the pressure cooker and close it.
- After starting to boil, cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
- If you don't have the pressure cooker, you can make this recipe in a normal pan and cook for 2 to 3 hours over a moderate heat.
- After the time has passed, open the pan and check that the meat is cooked.
- If the meat comes off the bone, it is cooked.
- If it is necessary to cook the meat more or if the sauce is too dry, add more broth and let it cook a little more without the lid.
- You can accompany this dish with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes.