Portuguese Ox Tail Stew Recipe
Posted in: BeefMon, Apr 19, 2021
4 out of 5 with 7 ratings
Views: 15444 - Comments 1
2 lbs of ox tail, cut into pieces1 large chopped onion3 chopped garlic cloves1 lb of peeled tomatoes cut into pieces2 diced carrots2 bay leaves1 sprig of parsley4 whole cloves1 stem of fresh rosemaryOil (to taste)Salt (to taste)Black pepper (to taste)Piri piri (to taste)2 cups of red wine4 cups of beef broth, preferably homemade Get Portuguese ingredients
- In a pressure cooker, add enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Let it warm up and add the oxtail.
- Fry the pieces of meat on both sides until they turn color.
- Remove the meat to a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic to the oil.
- Stir and sauté until the onion is glazed.
- Add the bay leaves and the tomato pulp.
- Stir and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pieces of meat again.
- Season with salt, taking into account that the broth is already salty, black pepper and the piri piri.
- Add the cloves of India, the sprig of parsley, the rosemary, the carrot, the red wine and the broth, until the meat is submerged.
- Cover the pressure cooker and close it.
- After starting to boil, cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
- If you don't have the pressure cooker, you can make this recipe in a normal pan and cook for 2 to 3 hours over a moderate heat.
- After the time has passed, open the pan and check that the meat is cooked.
- If the meat comes off the bone, it is cooked.
- If it is necessary to cook the meat more or if the sauce is too dry, add more broth and let it cook a little more without the lid.
- You can accompany this dish with mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Neuza Costa, saborintenso.com
Carolyn O Johnson - 1 Week ago
Thank you for this recipe. I have been looking for a different way to make oxtail. So, I will be trying it seen. Yes, I can see everything just fine. Thank you Carolyn Onciano
[reply] (+1) (-0)