Azorean Canelas Recipe
Posted in: Snack RecipesWed, Apr 28, 2021
4 out of 5 with 11 ratings
Views: 12241 - Comments 1
3 cups of all purpose flour3 tablespoons of melted butter1/2 cup of warm milk5 tablespoons of sugar2 eggs1 tablespoon of cinnamon3 tablespoons of brown sugar1 teaspoon of saltYeast:1 tablespoon of flour1 teaspoon of sugar1 teaspoon of active dry yeast1/2 cup or warm water Get Portuguese ingredients
- Let's start with the yeast, in a bowl add the 1 tablespoon of flour, 1 teasppon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of the yeast, mix well then add the warm water, stir well and set aside.
- In a mixer with a hook, add the sugar, salt, the eggs and beat for 1 minute.
- Then add the butter, beat a little then add the yeast and beat a little more.
- Then add the warm milk and beat a little, now add the flour and beat some more, if the consistency is very hard, add a little water, if its very soft, add a little flour and beat for about 2 minutes (the consistency has to be like bread dough, kind of hard).
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise for about an hour while well covered.
- After an hour, grease a baking tray.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon.
- On a clean working surface, spread the some of the cinnamon mixed with the sugar.
- Grease your hands with butter and take a handfull of dough at a time, roll it so you have a long roll and then roll it on the cinamon and curl it around on the baking tray, criss crossing the ends like a biscuit and bringing one the ends through the center to keep it in place, do this until you have used up all the dough and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Leonor Santos