Portuguese Octopus Stew Recipe
Posted in: Soups / Stews
Nov 27, 2015
3 out of 5 with 152 ratings
2 (2-pound) octopus, cleaned2 tablespoons of olive oil2 cups of chopped onions2 tablespoons of chopped garlic2 crushed bay leaves8 cups of chicken stock2 cups of white wine2 pounds of fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped1 pound of new potatoesPinch of crushed red pepper2 tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander2 tablespoons of chopped parsleySalt and pepper (to taste)
- Submerge the octopus in a large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Drain and let it cool, then cut the tentacles into 2-inch lengths or chunks and reserve.
- In a large pot, add the olive oil, when the oil is hot add the onions, garlic and bay leaves.
- Fry in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly wilted.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, bring the liquid up to a boil and let it reduce by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, add the potatoes, the octopus, and stock.
- Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the stew for about 2 hours on low heat.
- Stir in the crushed red pepper, fresh coriander and parsley.
- Check the salt and pepper, let it cool slightly and enjoy.