The Madeiran bolo preto (black cake) also known as bolo da família is one of the best known recipes for regional Madeiran sweets.
500g or 4 cups of flour500g or 2 and 1/2 cups of sugar1/2 cup of molasses3 eggs1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)1 stick of Crisco (vegetable shortening)1/2 cup of Madeira wine or Port wine1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves1 teaspoon of baking soda1 teaspoon of baking powder3/4 cup of raisins3/4 cup of nutsZest from one orangeGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Mix the butter and sugar until combined, add the eggs, wine and mix some more.
- In a different bowl, mix the cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and baking powder with the flour.
- Add the raisins, nuts and orange zest.
- Mix the flour mixture with the butter and sugar mixture.
- Pour into a greased with butter and dusted with flour deep cake pan.
- Add some raisins and nuts on top for decoration.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C or 350°F for 1 hour.
- Toothpick will come out dry when ready.
Please Leave a Comment
My great great grandparents came to the US from the Madeira Island
8 Months ago, Wednesday, December 1, 2021