Alexa’s Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Posted in: Soup RecipesTue, Dec 14, 2021
5 out of 5 with 4 ratings
1/2 orange bell pepper, cleaned and roughly chopped1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed1 medium onion, roughly chopped6 to 8 garlic cloves, peeledSalt (to taste)Pepper (to taste)1 liter 10% cream 500 ml chicken stock (or 1/2 bouillon cube mixed into 500ml boiling water)Sweet potato and squash glaze:1 tsp nutmeg1 tsp cinnamon3 tbsp brown sugar3 tbsp hot water or more * Get Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 205°C. (Total time roasting: approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes).
- Toss cubed sweet potato, butternut squash, onion, bell pepper, whole garlic cloves, and onion in 5 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper and place it in the oven.
- Prepare glaze for sweet potatoes and butternut squash (to be used mid-way through roasting).
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of brown sugar in a bowl
- Pour in about 3 tbsp of very hot water on top of the brown sugar (enough to cover).
- Mix with a fork to dissolve and add 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg and mix well.
- After roasting for 35 minutes. remove from the oven and lightly glaze the sweet potatoes and butternut squash with the prepared glaze.
- Keep an eye on the onions and garlic, if they start to burn, remove them from the sheet and set aside for later.
- Continue roasting until butternut squash and sweet potatoes can be pierced with a fork easily (approx.. 1 hour and 15 minutes total time roasting).
- Remove baking tray from the oven, and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer all roasted items into a large soup pot.
- Pour in the 1 liter of 10% cream and bring to a light boil.
- Prepare 1/2 of a chicken bouillon square with 500ml of boiling water, mix until dissolved (Or alternatively use 500ml of chicken stock).
- Pour the chicken stock/bouillon water into the pot and combine.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes with the lid off.
- Use a handheld immersion blender or traditional blender to bring to a smooth consistency.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!