These delightful and simple to make Portuguese washboard cookies are marked with a fork to resemble an old fashioned washboard.
|Preparation time||15 min|
|Cooking Time||20 min|
|Ready In||35 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Very Easy|
1⁄2 cup of butter, room temperature1 and 1⁄2 cups of sugar, divided4 large eggs, room temperature1 lemon, zest only4 cups of all-purpose flour1 tablespoon of baking powder1 dash of salt Get Portuguese ingredients
This recipe makes about 48 cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the butter with 1 cup of the sugar on medium high-speed for 1 minute.
- Beat in the eggs (one at a time), blending well after each one, until the mixture is fluffy and pale yellow (about 3 minutes) and stir in the lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt to combine.
- Fold the flour into the butter mixture using a spatula and mix well.
- Gently knead the dough in the bowl for about 5 minutes.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in a shallow dish.
- Using a small cookie scoop, shape pieces of dough into balls, then roll in the sugar.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined or lightly greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Flatten the cookies gently using the tines of a fork or make the horizontal lines.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until they turn a light golden colour.
- Cool on the cookie trays for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Note: I like to rotate the cookie trays from top to bottom, halfway through the cooking process.
There are no comments for this recipe.