This Portuguese crusty homemade bread recipe (receita de pão caseiro crocante) is simple and ideal for those days when you don't feel like going out just to buy bread.
|Preparation time||2 h 15 min|
|Cooking Time||45 min|
|Ready In||3 h|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
250 grams of all-purpose flour (2 cups)1 teaspoon of active dry yeast1 teaspoon of salt1 teaspoon of sugar125 ml of warm water (1/2 cup)1 tablespoon of softened unsalted butterGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water.
- In a bowl, place the flour and make a hole in the middle.
- In the hole, add the water with the yeast, butter, salt and sugar.
- With your hands, start mixing everything and knead the dough well.
- After you knead it well, make a ball.
- Place in a bowl and cover with a towel.
- Let rise for 2 hours in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC or 390ºF.
- After 2 hours (when the dough has doubled), place it on a baking tray previously dusted with flour.
- Shape the dough into a bread type shape.
- With a knife, lightly cut 5 grooves across the dough.
- Brush the dough with water.
- Place it in the oven with a tray in the bottom with a little water so that the crust of the bread turns crusty.
- Let it cook for approximately 45 minutes.
- The bread is cooked when you hit it with your hand and it feels hollow.
- After the bread is baked, take it out of the oven.
You might also like
These Portuguese Port wine rabanadas sound amazing and are easy to make and very quick, we will be trying them this Christmas.
|Level of Difficulty||Very Easy|
How to make Portuguese sweet bread.
|Level of Difficulty||Moderate|
When baking, can you please clarify where the tray with water goes- either directly underneath on same rack or on a different rack? I just can’t picture this. Thank you!
5 months ago, Wednesday, April 20, 2022
Hi Eddy, I tried this recipe but something must be missing. 2 cups of flour for 1/2 cup water just didn’t work at all. At the end I had to discard of the bread because all I could smell was the yeast. I made the caralhotas de Almeirim and it turned out delicious. Keep posting the great articles and recipes. Always looking forward to your posts. Thank you 😊
6 months ago, Wednesday, March 9, 2022
Definitely gonna give it a try
6 months ago, Friday, March 4, 2022