Who remembers these Portuguese cat tongues (linguas de gato) cookies from back home? I loved these as a child.
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature1/2 cup of sugar1 cup of all-purpose flour1/4 teaspoon of salt4 egg whites1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extractZest of 1 lemonGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Beat the butter with the mixer and while beating, add the sugar and beat for 2 to 3 minutes (until creamy).
- Sift the flour with the salt, and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with the butter, add one egg at a time, beating until fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the sifted flour little by little to the batter while stirring.
- Add the lemon zest and stir a little more (add a little milk if needed to get the right consistency to add to the pastry bag, becareful as you don't want it to be runny).
- Transfer it to a pastry bag.
- Shape the cat toungues in bite sized portions on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes (until the edges are golden).
- Let the cat tongues cool on a wire rack so they are crispy.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!