This classic Portuguese kale soup (caldo verde) or green soup recipe is delicious and very popular with everyone who has tried it.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||40 min|
|Ready In||1 h|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1/2 cup of olive oil1 medium chopped onion1/4 pound (114g) of garlicky smoked sausage such as chourico/chorizo (portuguese sausage) or sliced linguica3 medium potatoes6 cups of water1/2 pound (227g) of Portuguese kale or collard greensSalt to taste Get Portuguese ingredients
- Place oil in a medium skillet and saute with the onions and sliced sausages and set aside.
- Peel and slice the potatoes and cook in the water until quite soft.
- Mash the potatoes while in the water.
- Slice the kale as thin as possible (like fine julienne threads).
- Add to the potatoes in the water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, add the reserved sausage, onions, and oil.
- Heat through for 1 or 2 minutes (do not overcook)
- Add salt to taste and enjoy.