Portuguese Roasted Octopus (Polvo Assado) Recipe
Posted in: Seafood RecipesThu, Mar 2, 2023
5 out of 5 with 2 ratings
Views: 849 - Comments 0
1 octopus weighing approximately 1.5 kg1 kg of potatoes2 onions cut into half moon rings2 minced garlic cloves2 bay leaves100g skinless chorizo, cut into cubes1 sprig of parsley tied with a stringHalf red bell pepper cut into strips3 ripe tomatoes, skinless and seedless, cut into cubes1 chilli pepper200ml of olive oil250ml of white wineSalt and pepper (to taste) Get Portuguese ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the octopus in a pan to cook over very low heat so that it cooks in its own water.
- On a baking tray, place the bay leaves, the onion, the pepper strips, the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with 5 tablespoons of olive oil and half of the white wine.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- In a frying pan, heat the remaining half of the oil, the garlic, the chilli, the chorizo and tomato cubes, the bunch of parsley and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- After 20 minutes in the oven, remove the tray and, with the help of a slotted spoon, move the potatoes to the edges.
- In the center of the board, place the parsley branch and the octopus.
- Drizzle the water used to cook the octopus, the remaining wine, the rest of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven, maintaining the same temperature and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce is set.
Recipe & Photo Credit: receitasdeportugal.com