Portuguese Crusty Bread Recipe
Posted in: Bread RecipesThu, Mar 16, 2023
5 out of 5 with 2 ratings
Views: 929 - Comments 0
Portuguese bread is known for its crusty exterior and soft, chewy interior, and it can be made in many different shapes and sizes.
One of the most popular types of Portuguese bread is called "pão de água," which means "water bread." This bread is made with flour, water, salt, and yeast, and it is characterized by its thin crust and fluffy interior. Another popular type of Portuguese bread is "broa," which is a type of cornbread that is made with cornmeal and wheat flour.
Portuguese bread is often eaten with butter or cheese, and it is a staple in many Portuguese households. In addition to being delicious on its own, Portuguese bread is also used to make sandwiches, toast, and other baked goods.
4 cups of all-purpose flour1 1/2 cups of warm water2 teaspoons of active dry yeast2 teaspoons of salt Get Portuguese ingredients
- Mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- The yeast and warm water should be combined in a different basin. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is activated and foamy.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the bowl with the flour and stir until it forms a shaggy dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let it rise in a warm, draft-free area for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) and place a baking stone or sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a round or oval loaf.
- Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper and let it rest for 20-30 minutes.
- Slash the top of the dough with a sharp knife or razor blade to create a pattern.
- Carefully transfer the dough, along with the parchment paper, onto the hot baking stone or sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom and the crust is golden brown.
- Allow the bread to cool for at least 30 minutes on a wire rack before slicing and serving.