|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||40 min|
|Ready In||1 h|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
The Francesinha sandwich is a traditional Portuguese dish, originating from the city of Porto. It is a hearty sandwich that is typically made with bread, cured ham, linguiça (Portuguese sausage), fresh sausage, steak, and melted cheese. The sandwich is then topped with a thick tomato and beer sauce and served with french fries on the side.
Francesinha is often described as a "meat lover's sandwich" due to its high protein content. But what really distinguishes it is the sauce. It is made from tomatoes, beer, and other ingredients like garlic and bay leaves, and is cooked until it reaches a thick, rich consistency.
The sandwich is usually served hot, and it is a popular dish in restaurants and cafes throughout Porto. In fact, there are many variations of the Francesinha, with different restaurants and regions putting their own spin on the recipe. Some variations may include different types of meat, such as chicken or pork, and the sauce may also vary in its spiciness or sweetness.
Overall, the Francesinha is a delicious and filling sandwich that is a must-try for anyone visiting Porto or interested in exploring traditional Portuguese cuisine.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Olive oil should be heated in a pan to a medium-high temperature. Add the garlic and bay leaf and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- In a separate pan, cook the steak, linguiça, and smoked chouriço until they are browned on both sides. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwich, start with a slice of bread and top it with a slice of ham, followed by a slice of cheese, a slice of linguiça, a slice of steak, and a slice of chouriço. Till all of the ingredients have been used, keep layering.
- Pour the sauce over the sandwich until it is completely covered.
- Top the sandwich with the remaining slices of cheese and bake it in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the francesinha hot with a side of French fries.