|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||45 min|
|Ready In||1 h 5 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
To make this soup, you will typically start by sautéing some onions and garlic in a pot with a little bit of olive oil. Then you will add in your chopped vegetables, along with some vegetable or chicken broth, and let the soup simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Depending on the recipe, you may also add in some other ingredients such as diced tomatoes, beans, or pasta. Some versions of the soup also call for the addition of chourico or other types of sausage for extra flavor.
Once the soup is fully cooked, it is typically served hot with a crusty bread on the side. It can be a hearty and satisfying meal on its own or served as a side dish to accompany a main course.
Portuguese vegetable soup is a great way to enjoy a variety of nutritious vegetables in one dish, and it is a popular comfort food in Portugal and beyond.
- Warm up the olive oil in a big pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots, potatoes, green beans, and cabbage to the pot and stir well.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and broth. Add the bay leaf, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Take the bay leaf out of the pot and throw it away.
- Serve the soup hot and enjoy!
You can also add other vegetables, like zucchini or spinach, to the soup if you prefer. This recipe makes about 6 servings, so feel free to adjust the amounts of ingredients based on your needs.