|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||20 min|
|Ready In||40 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
Portuguese cod and chickpea salad is a traditional dish in Portugal that combines salted codfish (bacalhau), chickpeas and onion in a flavorful salad.
To make this salad, the salt cod is soaked in water for several for 24 hours hours to remove excess salt before being cooked and shredded. The salad is dressed with olive oil and vinegar.
This salad is a great source of protein and fiber and is often served as a light and refreshing meal during the warmer months in Portugal. It can also be served as a side dish to accompany other traditional Portuguese dishes.
- Soak salt cod in cold water for at least 24 hours and change the water every 8 hours.
- Cook the cod in water, let it cool and then shred it with your hands, removing any skin and bones.
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, red onion, red bell pepper and the parsley.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together olive oil and the red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the flaked cod to the bowl with the chickpeas. Pour the dressing over everything and toss gently to combine well.