How to make Portuguese cod (A Gomes de Sa) recipe.
2 lbs of dry salt cod4 large Yukon gold potatoes4 red bell peppers, cut in quarters, stems and seeds removed1 bay leafBlack pepper (to taste)1 cup of olive oil4 tablespoons of canola oil4 garlic cloves, crushed3 eggs, boiled½ cup of pitted Kalamata olives½ bunch of parsley, chopped fine3 medium sized white onions, 2 of them cut thinly in half moon shapeKosher saltGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
- Soak cod in cold water for about 24 hours changing water about 4 times.
- Place cod in a large saucepan, fill with fresh water; add bay leaf and one whole onion.
- Bring to a boil then reduce temperature to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer cod with part of the cooking water to a bowl and let it cool down to room temperature. Retain remaining cooking water in pan.
- Drain, shred cod into bite size pieces and remove and discard skin and any bones.
- Return saucepan to the burner and add the whole potatoes, top with more water if needed.
- Bring to a boil and cook until soft by not crumbly.
- Scoop potatoes out of the pan, and let them cool, once cool enough to handle, peel and cut into thick slices then set aside, keeping them warm.
- Meanwhile add the canola oil to a pan that is wide enough to lay quartered peppers skin down in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with salt, cover, bring temperature to high, then lower it and cook/poach peppers until soft and skins are wrinkled, about 15-20 minutes (do not burn them).
- Remove from the heat, let cool, peel, discard skins and set aside.
- Reserve the oil for other cooking purposes.
- Wipe the pan with a paper towel, add ¾ cup olive oil, sliced onion, some salt and black pepper to taste and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and then (the onions should be soft but not browned).
- Towards the last minute add crushed garlic followed by the prepared cod, add parsley and bell peppers.
- Carefully fold in potatoes and heat through.
- Transfer to a warm serving bowl, garnish with slices of egg and Kalamata olives.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over everything.
Like this Recipe? Leave a comment!
There are no comments for this recipe.