Portuguese Spicy Clams Recipe
1. Three hours before cooking, soak the clams in cold water with a pinch of salt to clean out any sand. Change the water every hour (at least 2 times) or until the bowl has no sand residue in the bottom.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium-sized pot, dutch oven, or wok. Add chouriço and cook until oil starts to turn red, approximately 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and cook until the onion softens, approximately 3 minutes.
3. Add the clams and pour in the wine. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cover the pot.
4. Simmer until the clams open, approximately 6-8 minutes. (If any of the clams do not open, toss them out). Remove the clams to a serving bowl and cover to keep warm.
5. Reduce the remaining liquid by half, then pour over the clams.
6. Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve with crusty, toasted country bread.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Breana Lai