Portuguese Salted Cod with Cream Recipe
Posted in: SeafoodMon, Jan 4, 2016
4 out of 5 with 13 ratings
Views: 36062 - Comments 2
4 fillets salt cod (about 1 lb.)3 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cubed1 onion5 cloves of garlic, minced5 tbsp olive oil1 bay leaf1 pint (473 ml) heavy whipping cream1 cup milk1/2 tsp nutmeg2 tbsp unsalted butter2 tbsp corn starch1/2 tsp saltpepper to taste Get Portuguese ingredients
- Soak the salted cod fillets in water for 24 hours, changing water twice (keep the cod in the fridge).
- Parboil the cod for about 5 minutes in water.
- Flake the fillets and remove the bones and skin if it’s the case (the fillets I got came without skin and bones, so I skipped this step). Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes, wash, cut in small cubes and fry with 3 tbsp of olive oil just until look like cooked (do not over fry). Set aside.
- Slice the onion in thin rings, minced the garlic and fry all with the 2 tbsp of olive oil left and a bay leaf until soft and translucent (around 5-8 minutes).
- Add the cod, sautee a little and then add the potatoes, mixing all together. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Note: Since the cod is already salted, you don’t need to add any salt during this cooking process. I just added some to the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the Bechamel sauce: in a medium skillet, melt 2 tbsp of butter and slowly add the corn starch mixing well. Add the milk, heavy whipping cream and mix until well incorporated. Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook over low-heat for about 10 minutes until the sauce turn into a rich creamy texture.
- Add 2/3 of this mixture to the cod, potatoes and onion mix and pour into a large baking dish (or two glass loaf pans like the ones I use in the picture). Cover the mix with the rest of Bechamel sauce and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After that time, turn in the broil and gratin for more 5-8 minutes, keeping an eye in the oven to not let it burn (just until you get a golden crust on top).
- Take out of the oven, let it rest for a few minutes and serve with chopped fresh parsley on top.
This dish is good served with a green salad, sautéed spinach or just by itself with fresh parsley.
Recipe & Photo Credit: Teresa R H
Robert F DeLorey - 2 Years ago
My wife makes it similar, she uses salt cod with mashed potatos, and campbells cream of mushroom soup ....Its delicious.....I have to eat it all.......
[reply] (+1) (-0)
Yeah that sounds amazing Robert.
2 Years ago (+0) (-0)