How to make Portuguese roasted Chicken and crispy potatoes.
|Preparation time||20 min|
|Cooking Time||1 h|
|Ready In||1 h 20 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
1 Whole Chicken ( 3-4 lbs)1 ½ lbs potatoes ( yukon or reds), thinly slicedMarinade:2 Dried Ancho Chilies-re hydrated2 tsp smoked paprika6 cloves garlic1 tsp kosher salt1 tsp coriander¼ cup plus 1 T sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar¼ cup plus 1 T Olive Oil½ tsp pepperCilantro Sauce:1 cup plain yogurt1 bunch Cilantro- finely chopped½ tsp kosher Salt½ tsp corianderCracked pepper1 tsp lemon juice1 tsp olive oil Get Portuguese ingredients
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Rehydrate dried chile's in small pot of boiling water on the stove for 20 minutes.
- Butterfly chicken: Rinse inside and out, removing innards. Pat dry. Place on a cutting board, breast down. Using sharp kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of the spine, remove and discard. Turn the chicken over, and placing your hand on the breast bone, press down hard with the palm of your hand, to flatten.
- Make the marinade by blending the marinate ingredients into a paste with a blender or food processor.
- Brush a layer of marinade on the bottom of your baking pan.
- Place the thinly sliced potatoes on top of the marinade and sprinkle with a generous pinch of kosher salt.
- Brush all sides and crevasses of the chicken with the marinade, coating fairly heavily. ( You will add more marinade during cooking, so be sure to save the remaining.)
- Place chicken, skin side down on the potatoes and place in the oven.
- Turn chicken over after 15 minutes, and place back in the oven. After 10-15 minutes, brush more marinade all over the chicken on the skin side, really lathering it up. Return to the oven and bake until cooked through another 15-20 minutes, or until leg/ thigh reaches internal temperature of 180 F. To crisp the skin and get it deeply brown, broil for a few minutes. A little char is good here.
- Remove chicken when done and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- While chicken is roasting, combine Cilantro Sauce ingredients together, either in a bowl- mixing by hand, or in a food processor.
- Serve cilantro sauce on the side.
- Cut chicken into pieces and serve.
Recipe & Photo Credit: feastingathome.com
There are no comments for this recipe.
You might also like:
How to make Portuguese chicken gizzards, also known as moelas, a popular dish in Portuguese cuisine.
On this video, Nancy from DIYwithnancyg, shows you step by step how to make Azorean Chouriço (Portuguese chouriço).
Every year in July the city of Águeda bursts with colour and cheerfulness.
How to make Portuguese marinated pork (torresmos), a popular Portuguese and Brazilian dish consisting of deep-fried or baked pork.
It's time to talk about kale benefits and why kale is a superfood. In this video, we will list for you exactly 14 health benefits of kale that make it a superfood. Kale benefits have been hyped for the last decade.
Top 5 light but delicious Portuguese dessert recipes was put together by Michael Costa.