How to make Portuguese Berliner (Bolas de Berlim).
|Preparation time||25 min|
|Cooking Time||30 min|
|Ready In||55 min|
|Level of Difficulty||Easy|
For the filling:1 cup of condensed milk4 egg yolks1 tablespoon of butter1 teaspoon of vanilla extract1 tablespoon of lemon juiceFor the dough:1 ounce of active dry yeast2 tablespoons of sugar1 and 1/2 cups of warm milk1 cup of butter2 egg yolks1 pinch of salt6 cups of flour1 cup powdered sugar for coveringVegetable oil for fryingGet Portuguese ingredients & stuff
For the filling:
- In a saucepan mix the milk, egg yolks and butter.
- Bring to a low heat for about 10 minutes until a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla essence and lemon juice. Stir it in well until it is smooth and consistent. Set it aside in a bowl.
For the dough:
- In a bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in milk.
- Combine all ingredients except flour and mix well adding the flour gradually until the dough is easily shaped and kneaded.
- Form medium sized balls and let them rest on a board sprinkled with flour.
- Cover with a cloth and let it rise for about 1-2 hours.
- Fry the balls in a deep frying skillet or pot on high eat one by one until they are golden browned. Turn them over as they fry.
- Once they are done, place them on a platter with paper towels to dry.
- After they have cooled slightly, cut them in half without dividing them completely.
- Fill them with the previously prepared cream and sprinkle with the powdered sugar. Serve.
Like this recipe? Add a comment!
This looks so good, I am making it. I love so many if these recipes. Brings memories of growing up and food from the the Portuguese festival.
7 months ago, Saturday, April 9, 2022