Portuguese Washboard Cookies Recipe
Posted in: Cookies
Feb 1, 2016
4 out of 5 with 6 ratings
½ cup of butter, room temp1 cup of sugar4 eggsZest of 1 lemon4 cups of flour1 tbsp of baking powder1/8 tsp of salt1/4 cup of sugar for rolling the cookies Get Portuguese ingredients & more This site uses US measurements.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Using your mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar for about a minute or so, or until creamy and light. Crack the eggs in one at a time, beating well in between each one. You're done when your batter is light and fluffy and is sort of a pale yellow. Took me about 2½ minutes. Mix in the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, wisk together the flour, salt and the baking powder.
- Using a big spoon, fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for about 5 minutes.
- I did use my Kitchen Aid for this using the dough attachment on the lowest setting.
- Using a pan, sprinkle the ¼ cup of sugar on the pan.
- Shape the dough into balls that are about one and a half inches.
- Roll each bowl in the sugar until completely coated and place on a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet about an inch to two inches apart.
- Use a fork to gently flatten the balls with the fork tines creating lines in the dough.
- This is where the washboard name comes from.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a lightly golden color.
- You can wait for them to cool, but they are amazing warm. Serve with a glass of milk, cup of tea or steaming mug of coffee. Delish!